Landscapes & Lights – Blue Ridge Parkway
June 13, 2020
6 am – 1 pm
limited to 10 participants
Do you struggle to capture landscapes & wildflower images that are just a little bit different from everyone elses? Join Smoky Mountain School of Photography instructors, Jerry Whaley and Roger Trentham for a day of learning while exploring the scenic landscape possibilities along the Blue Ridge Parkway in some of the most majestic mountains in the South.
Our venue will be the roughly 40 mile section of the Blue Ridge Parkway between Hwy 276 (out of Waynesville, NC) and Waterrock Knob (not far from Soco Gap, or Hwy 23/74 for a return to Waynesville) where we will have the opportunity to photograph seasonal flowers and mountain landscapes. We will explore effective landscape techniques, including the use of flash in the field, and using hyper-focal focusing for maximum depth-of-field. Artificial backgrounds will be demonstrated and used to illustrate how you can make your wildflower images stand out from the crowd. Our potential working locations include (depending on the weather and light): Cradle of Forestry (Pounding Mill) overlook, Looking Glass Rock, Graveyard Fields, Devils Courthouse, Richland Balsam (highest point on BRParkway), Waterrock Knob, and many other scenic overlooks.
- Good composition and depth-of-field
- Supplemental light (Flash & LED) to improve your images
- Setting up your camera for good exposures and sharp images
- Using “blinkies” (and the histogram) to capture the most information in your file
- Using artificial backgrounds in the field for a different look
- Using “hyper-focal focusing” to capture the best depth-of-field in a single image
- Using “focus stacking” to blend multiple images into one image with fantastic DOF
Blue Ridge Parkway workshop is limited to 10 participants, so book your spot soon! Join Jerry & Roger for a day of fun and learning while you capture the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Best to bring water, snacks & lunch with you. We will begin our workshop in Waynesville, NC. Once you book your spot, exact meet up time and location will be emailed to you.
Class is limited to 10 participants, so book your spot soon!